This weekend we bought 8 apple tree, 2 plum trees, 2 sour cherry trees and 2 “sweeter” cherry bushes. The apple trees will be espalier trained and located in the south west corner between the arborvitaes and the raspberries. The rest of the fruit will be planted in front of the house. We still need to add pear trees, currants and bamboo to the mix, but that will not happen until next year or maybe this fall if we can swing it. Makes me a bit nervous, spending money on bare root trees but, it seems like the right decision so here we go! Our landscape plan found here needs to be updated. the garden has changed quite a bit since I designed it. We now have 11 vegetable beds surrounded by a perennial flower garden. The number of arborvitaes has dwindled from 23-12 and our fence is now only planned for the front of our house instead of wrapping around the both the east and south side of our property. We have also moved the placement of the blueberry from in front of the office windows to the south side of the vegetable garden and the raspberry bushes will now line the western edge of the vegetable garden instead of following the fence line. I think, if we listen, the land tells us where the ” apple trees will thrive and where the blueberries will die”. So it’s a good idea to be flexible in our design to accommodate. After all, it is almost inevitable that our design will not match the wisdom of the land.
I’ll take pictures of the planting process and post hopefully before mid May!
Its the little things that keep me smiling… is it like that for you too? Spice organization is putting a grin on my face today… I use to keep our spices in a drawer, but our supply grew bigger then a drawer years ago so I switched to a cabinet. Somewhere on the internet I saw someone using 4oz canning jars for their spices and thought, “Now theres a smart idea” and quickly ran out an bought some 4 oz canning jars. We had them tiered in three rows with a uses of a shelving unit picked up at a kitchen store at least I think it came from a kitchen store. I like to pretend I buy things at high end kitchen stores once in a while it makes me feel special. Where ever it came from, it was a total fail. It wasn’t as wide as our cabinet so lots of wasted space. A few months ago I got the idea of using 2x4s (I think I was getting tired of seeing them laying all over our house- we are pretending to work on the bathroom again.) and constructing tiered shelves by stacking them up; three in back then two then one… simple, right? Well Dave and Kevin’s were worried they would add too much weight to the cupboard. wah-wah… Instead this weekend while I was away, Dave made some shelves out of scrap lumber that spans the entire width of the cupboard and I now have four tiered rows of spices!. They’re not perfect or pretty…
but the organization and solution to a nagging problem…Beautiful.
I smile every time I open the cabinets doors!
Well, I did it, I F-I-N-A-L-L-Y painted the fireplace! And I love it… love it! As far as projects go, not too bad. Start to finish, one week and that was mostly waiting for paint to cure. I have taken lots of photos of it, but I can’t seem to really capture the true color. It is a dark grey which has some green in it, but in all of my photos it looks black.
What I love the most about this change:
- One solid color, no contrasting grout lines. The walls and the ceiling have a venetian plaster finish which is A LOT of texture so anything to reduce the amount of visual “clutter” is a good thing. (We have some other major changes planned to help calm things down even more.)
- The brick doesn’t look like worms anymore!
- The color is beautiful. It refreshes, perhaps even updates the goldish yellow wall color. I was really getting sick of the wall color, but the thought of repainting this room made me very tired. It is such a big room and took us a full month to paint it the first time so I have been searching for ways to make the color work and I think we are on the right track with the grey.